Sunday, March 20, 2011

Little Adventures Daycare and more

I've been doing daycare for 3 weeks now and I finally found some time to sit down and blog about what we've been up to.  I cannot tell you how excited I am about this "Little Adventure" we are all on and how exhausted I am. I have so much to share...

Here's what we've been doing so far... (don't worry I don't think I'll tell you every detail of everything we've done.  I'm just excited to tell everyone what we've been doing so far and to share some great websites I've discovered. )
I started out the first two weeks with different Dr. Seuss books to celebrate his birthday.  (it was March 2nd)  Yes, I had 10 days with 10 (or maybe it was 8 or 9) Dr. Seuss books.  I am happy to report that we did not read all of the books.  We did other things and, to be honest, I can only take so much crazy rhyming.

We began our two weeks by making Cat in the Hat hats.  Garrison was the only one who allowed me to take his picture with his hat on.  They were a lot of fun to make and actually made it through the entire week without getting destroyed. 
After reading the book "Green Eggs and Ham" we made green eggs and ham.  Although, Thomas says these are more like green eggs and bacon.  Close enough!  We made them with pretzels, white chocolate chips and green m&ms.  The boys helped by putting the m&ms on the chocolate.  Well, it was more like one m&m for the chocolate and a handful for my mouth.
Here are the four amigos all together.  This was the best picture I could take.  As you can see Gavin wasn't really working with me.  About 2 seconds after this picture was snapped none of them would sit for another one.  I guess that's what happens when you have four small boys.  You take what you can get. 
 

 Garrison and Landon together with their "Thomas the train" shirts on.  This was not planned (umm.. the shirts). 
 This is what happens when the boys try to get creative and "build with the bins" as Garrison told me.  They did, sort of, help me clean these up.  The greatest part of this was when I started putting the bins back on the shelf I put them in a different color pattern then the good old all the red bins on one shelf, all the green ones on another shelf, etc.  Garrison came to me and said, "Mom, you can't match." and started putting all the same colored bins on the same shelf.  My bad! 
 And last week we learned about how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly.  We read Eric Carle's "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" everyday last week.  On Monday we made the little egg on the leaf in light of the moon and had apples for a snack.  Just like the caterpillar did.  "On Monday he ate one apple, but he was still hungry."
  
On Tuesday we made the caterpillar, which the boys loved and we had a pear for snack.  Or should I say I cut up a pear for snack and the boys spit it out.  I'm telling myself it's the thought that counts. 
On Wednesday, we made the cocoon thanks to the toilet paper rolls I've been collecting.  :)  And we had a plum for a snack.  Again I cut it, but nobody ate it. 
Then on Thursday we painted our butterflies and ate strawberries for a snack.  I was going to paint the butterflies on Friday, but found out that they needed to dry overnight so we painted them on Thursday.  On Friday we tied the strings to our butterflies so that we could hang them up on the windows.  We didn't have a snack that day.  Although, I did have an orange in my fridge.
Here are Landon and Garrison painting their butterflies. 

This coming week we'll be having a "fun" week.  When I made the calendar I didn't realize that it would coincide with spring break.  We'll be playing with play dough, bubbles, baking cookies, eating popcorn and watching a movie and coloring.  I'll also have Landon and Gavin's older sister, Annabelle.  It'll be a fun week!

This weekend I wanted to finish putting together the April calendar for the daycare so I could get it out and I was having trouble coming up with more "safety" occupations for my safety week in April.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out what else I should do.  I had two (I know lame, right?  Only two safety occupations.) and I asked Thomas what were some he could think of.  He told me to head to the computer.  I think he might have regretted that answer because I found some amazing websites that I have fallen in love with. 

The first website I found has everything I've ever dreamed of having for my daycare.  It's actually a website and blog about homeschooling, but a daycare works too, right?  I think this lady took everything from my head and all my dreams and thoughts of what I've wanted to do, but didn't know how to go about it, put it on a website and then said, "Sarah, here you go and it's all FREE!"  I can't stop printing.  Every new idea I get about a topic I want to have for the daycare I think "maybe she has something" and she does!  This lady rocks.  Click here to check out the greatest website ever, Homeschool Creations!  I also have a button on the left side of the screen that you can also click on.

The second website I found is something called "Lapbook lessons".  I'd never heard of a lapbook before until I found the "greatest website" website.  They are topical "books" that you can put together by gluing different activities into a simple little folder.  (Hopefully that makes sense.)  

I have been jumping on these sites all weekend trying to find new and cool things to do with the boys.  I told Thomas that I'm seriously considering homeschooling our boys.  He gave me a funny look and I'm not sure if he thinks I'm crazy or if he knows that I'm dead serious and he's not looking forward to my "obsession" with it.  Either way, check back with me after I've done the daycare for a year and see if I'm singing the same tune.  

I'm so excited about these sites.  They are honestly what I've been envisioning for the daycare.  They have these morning charts that I've been looking for, but these are HOMEMADE and don't cost a ton like the ones in the store that I've been looking at and trying to save for.  I can go to Target and buy a $2.99 board, print off any of the morning activities that I want and make my own for under $10.  I'll have to take pictures of the end result and show everyone.  I'm busting at the seams!  

Can you tell I'm excited?  Now back to the sites...  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment