Wednesday, February 3, 2010

No Pacifier

Garrison is going on about a month of no pacifier. Yeah!! I'm so proud and excited that he has gotten rid of it. I tried a few times before, but then he'd get sick or we'd be away from home for a couple of days and I thought it would be easier to let him have the pacifier than fight with him.

I knew that he didn't need the pacifier anymore because he was starting to chew on it and was trying to talk with it in his mouth. Plus, I've read that you should actually take the pacifier away at about 6 months. Oops!

I was finally able to let Garrison get rid of it when holes started to appear. I also realized that I needed to stick to my guns and not give in to him when he was asking for the pacifier. Getting rid of the pacifier was more my problem than Garrison's.

I showed Garrison that his pacifier was "broken" and couldn't be used anymore. End of that. I threw it away (he didn't see me do this) and he never asked for it again. Whenever he needed to soothe himself he would suck his thumb. I thought that nap and bedtime would be the hardest for him, but he sucks his thumb. He uses his thumb only until he starts to drift off then he's normally fine.

Every time he saw a pacifier during my other attempts to get him to stop he'd pop it in his mouth, but now when he sees a pacifier he comes and gives it to me or tries to hand it to Josiah. Although, I've been trying not to leave them out to tempt him. I have one in Josiah's car seat and one in his crib. Josiah doesn't like the pacifier as much as Garrison did.

I'm so proud that Garrison is no longer using a pacifier.

1 comments:

Kara Scharrer said...

Sarah, Skogen still has a pacifier (at 12 months) and everyone gives me so much grief about it. It's been a lifesaver for us because Maida didn't take a pacifier and it was hard to calm her down. I love having the pacifier for Skogen and don't plan to take it away until at least 18 months. Did you ever get grief for letting Garrison have a pacifier for so long? I get so mad when someone says something about it!

Post a Comment